Tuesday, October 28, 2008

NaNoWriMo

NaNoWriMo. NaNoWriMo.
Okay, I'm not communicating with aliens (although that does sound tempting--they might know the meaning of life, after all). NaNoWriMo stands for National Novel Writing Month.

One of my hobbies is writing, and NaNoWriMo is a nifty little program that helps get writers off their duffs and to their keyboards to write. The goal is to spend the month of November writing a novel of at least 50,000 words. Most people who give it a try (over 101,000 last year) don't make it (only about 15,000), but at least they attempted it. The prize? Knowing that you did it and a certificate you can print out and frame and put over your dining room table. 

NaNoWriMo emphasizes that the writing is quantity over quality. My motto for this blog fits perfectly: Don't Sweat the Small Stuff. No editing until December. And to make sure that you do write, they say to tell lots of friends about it so they can keep asking you about it and you feel guilty enough to sit down and type something. 

So here I am, opening myself up to the wide world, letting you know I'm going to attempt something sorta crazy. What am I going to write about? I don't know! Do you have any ideas? All I know is that I want to have fun writing. Maybe you should do it too! Check it out: NaNoWriMo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, diarrhea of the keyboard.

Caroline said...

Thank you for explaining this to me. All over my loops writers are asking each other,"are you going to NaNo?" or something like that. I had NO IDEA what they were talking about. Now, I do! Thanks!

Actually, it's a very good idea. I'm in a small group called WIPs (Writers in Pajamas.) And we do sprints. One member will ask, "Who wants to sprint today," then off they go. I haven't done it yet, but it sounds like a blast and they get tons written...
~C

Chris said...

I think you should write a story about a kid, age 8-12-ish, who goes exploring in one of the big willows clumps in the meadow and discovers a secret world hidden inside.

Chris said...

Grace is also working on a group novel during that time period. Middle school assignment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates