Saturday, January 3, 2009

Wild Turkeys

When  I was doing the Christmas Bird Count a few weeks ago, I found some turkeys up one of the canyons. As I mentioned in a previous post, wild turkeys are not native to this area, but were introduced by the state wildlife agency. So whenever I see them, I think of Thanksgiving dinner.

The turkeys must sense this, because once they saw me, they turned around and hurried back into the brush.

I waited for awhile, and sure enough, they came trotting out, crossing the road in front of me.

If you're wondering about the house in the background, yes, it is awesome. It is currently run as a bed and breakfast and is very popular for weddings and family reunions. The landscape around it is fantastic, with steep cliffs, a maze of mountain roads, and views of peaks over 10,000 feet tall.

Okay, back to the turkeys. It's true domesticated turkeys can't fly, but wild ones can--here is proof. They often perch in trees at night to protect themselves from predators, like mountain lions.

They aren't particularly concerned being near other wildlife, though, as they scramble past the mule deer on the left and continue up the canyon.

2 comments:

I Am Woody said...

I can do a mean turkey call!!

Caroline said...

Is it true a turkey will drown if he looks up in a rain storm?? I've heard that several times and just wondered.

That is a BEAUTIFUL B&B!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates