Friday, June 12, 2009

Searching for Caves

The only thing better than being in a cave is searching for new caves. 

And actually, some of the caves around here really suck (being small and dusty and requiring belly crawling over hard rocks), so searching for new caves can be quite preferable when the weather is nice.

Here was a hole that looked promising. The only problem was that I didn't have a light.

I could illuminate part of it with the flash from my camera, but I figured that my three sources of light were a little iffy: the flash, my glow-in-the-dark watch, and a little squeeze light.

Fortunately my caver friend Bill was nearby and had the proper equipment, even kneepads. He started in, hoping it opened up into a big, well-decorated chamber.

But a few moments he was backing out. It just pinched down tighter.

The entrance was really cool, though. 

Here's a view of the hole from below. It was harder to get up to the entrance than actually move about in the cave.

The canyon we were in, and in fact the entire mountain range, is full of intriguing holes. While we didn't find anything remarkable that afternoon, the next day Bill and Tom found some good stuff. I can't wait to hear the details. 

In the meantime, I keep dreaming about that little hole that leads to a big cave. Maybe I can even name it Desert Survivor Cave.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Maybe you'll get luck and find a nice vein of gold. Enough to fill a pocket..but not enough to make it worth ruining a hillside to get it.

www.wildlifearoundus.blogspot.com

Caroline said...

Do not go caving without a light, young lady.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates