Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Happy Fifth Day of Christmas

We've had a very enjoyable Christmas in the high desert, with even some snow to make it a white Christmas.

While it might seem like Christmas is done and all that remains of the holiday season is New Year's, there are some old traditions that keep Christmas going. One of these is the Twelve Days of Christmas, which goes from Christmas to Epiphany, January 6, the day recognized as when the Three Wise Men arrived in Bethlehem with gifts for Jesus. In fact, some European cultures celebrate Christmas with family and friends and good food, but do their gift giving on Epiphany.

One tradition my parents had that we've adopted is to open one present a day during the twelve days of Christmas (or until they run out). This allows each gift to be cherished more and for the giver to be remembered for more than a few moments. It also is a great way to teach kids (and parents) to wait. All good things come with time...and recycled presents are still happily opened because part of the fun is unwrapping a surprise!

So we still have quite a few presents under the Christmas tree. Even though Desert Boy is only 2 1/2, he seems to get the idea that he only gets to open one present a day and hasn't bothered the other ones. (Although maybe that will come at a later stage.)

The song the Twelve Days of Christmas may or may not have a secondary meaning, as this excellent article explains. The most common belief about it is that it helped Christians remember some of the important meanings of the church. I can never remember all the words to the song, much less the "hidden" meanings, so here they are:

On the First Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me A Partridge in a Pear Tree (Jesus).
On the Second Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Two French Hens (Old and New Testaments).
On the Third Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Three Turtle Doves (Three Theological Virtues: Faith, Hope, and Love).
On the Fourth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Four Calling Birds (Four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John).
On the Fifth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Five Golden Rings (Five Books of Old Testament known as Torah or Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy).
On the Sixth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Six Geese a Laying (Six Days of Creation).
On the Seventh Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Seven Swans a Swimming (Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit: prophecy, ministry, teaching, exhortation, giving, leading, and compassion).
On the Eighth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Eight Maids a Milking (Eight Beatitudes).
On the Ninth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Nine Ladies Dancing (Nine Fruit of the Holy Spirit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control).
On the Tenth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Ten Lords a Leaping (The Ten Commandments).
On the Eleventh Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Eleven Pipers Piping (Eleven Faithful Apostles).
On the Twelfth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me Twelve Drummers Drumming (The Twelve Points of Doctrine in the Apostles' Creed.)

You can find more explanations for all of these.

We will likely be taking down some of our Christmas decorations before the Epiphany, but we'll be enjoying the Christmas season until then. Any excuse to have a prolonged celebration is a great idea, right?!

4 comments:

g said...

absolutely. Since our tree didn't go up until the 23rd we want to enjoy it and all the decorations for a while longer. . . at least the Epiphany.

Margy said...

We do this too! We started it because the kids seemed so overwhelmed with opening many gifts on one day. Now on each of the 12 days we open a gift or two or share an activity as a family. Our kids -- now 5, 7, & 9 -- still enjoy it.

desertsurvivor.blogspot.com said...

Happy 6th day of Christmas! Hoping Matthew will open his e-card one of the days of Christmas. Not sure where it fits into the 12 days, Maybe on the Ninth Day of Christmas.

A trip to the reservoir may be in order today, tho' I doubt you'll find nesters yet.

flatbow said...

I loved the 1 gift a day tradition because you really cherished the gift you opened that day and, more importantly, the anticipation of opening a gift the next day was thrilling.

Now, if Desert Boy is content with only 1 present a day or if he starts to "bother the other ones" will depend on which of his uncles he takes after!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates