Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sleeping Prepared

I call myself Desert Survivor because sometimes it takes some extra, or at least different, skills to survive out in the rural desert, an hour from the nearest grocery store, over two hours from the nearest Wal-mart, and in a place where the population hasn't increased in several hundred years.

It's a great place to raise kids, where the whole world seems open to exploration. Manure piles, caves, tractors, and more await those who desire them. The air is clean, the views are spectacular, and the kids, cows, and dogs run free.

Well, it seems that Desert Boy has learned a few lessons about how to survive in the desert. We've been working hard at getting him to sleep all night long in his own bed. When I went in and checked on him the other night, I found that instead of cuddling with a stuffed animal or a special blanket, he had a bottle of water tucked under one arm and a flashlight under the other. I guess he's taking comfort to a different level.
I couldn't resist snapping a photo and sharing it with you.
Have a great day!

9 comments:

I Am Woody said...

He's definitely learned some life lessons;)

Annette said...

That's hilarious! The things they come up with! ☺

-Annette

Anonymous said...

I love it! You've taught him well! I want to be with him in case of emergency. :o)

Kristen

flatbow said...

He must be gaining wisdom from his desert surviving parents and family!

Sarah said...

Complete with halo. Love it! Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

The flashlight is for finding snacks in the dark. Or maybe to get a jumpstart on toilet training at midnight.

UP

g said...

The flashlight is for Elmo who is afraid of the dark.

jendoop said...

Good job on teaching self-reliance. I should follow his example and have more water stored for the family!

And, his bed is much more organized than my children's - when I put them to bed it is similar to his, but somehow in the night books and herds of stuffed animals creep into bed with them.

desertsurvivor.blogspot.com said...

Did it work? Is he sleeping thru?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates