Friday, April 6, 2012

The Surprise in the Garden

Sorry, no photos today--seriously lacking some free time!

But a quick story:
Yesterday the kids and I were in the garden, watering seeds that we had previously planted. I was delighted to see some of the peas poking up through the dirt. Then, as I was working manure into another garden plot, I noticed a splash of green that wasn't a weed. I called the kids over.

"Look! Do you see that green?" I asked.

"Yes," they said, trying to figure out why I was so excited.

"Do you know what it is?"

"No. What is it?" (Okay, are conversations aren't always the most stimulating.)

"Dig around and you'll see."

So Desert Boy started digging. "A carrot!"

It was a mature carrot, and after some digging, he released it from its winter home. The carrot was in good shape, so we took it inside, and washed it. We were supposed to save it for dinner, but somehow Desert Girl managed to grab it as we went our for a bike ride and toted it with for the next hour, taking a couple bites. Then she dropped it and Desert Boy found it, brought it back to the house, washed it, and ate the rest of it.

I have to say, I was mighty impressed that he waited to eat the rest of it until he washed it.

That's the story of our surprise carrot. The kids really want to find some more surprise vegetables in the garden. I think it might be a little while. But then, you never know.


1 comment:

jendoop said...

I tried to over-winter some carrots in the ground one year and all I got was mice.

One great thing about gardening is that the kids get much more excited about eating vegetables! I am excited to get settled in a new house and be able to garden again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates