Saturday, August 10, 2013

The Perplexing Plum Tree

 My husband noted that a tree near our house was producing fruit. He had never seen it produce fruit before, so we went and took a closer look.

 The fruit came in two sizes, the larger about an inch and a half in diameter, the smaller about the size of  a cherry. We discussed if this could be a Potawatomi Plum, but neither of us was sure. Potawatomi plums (Prunus munsoniana) are native to the southeast, but were reportedly brought by miners and Mormons to the Colorado Plateau and Great Basin. I did a bit of Internet searching to find more, but ended up more confused!

Here's a closeup of the fruits. As you can see by the fruits in the background, many of them were split. If you know anything more, please leave a comment.

And what about the taste? My husband said he had eaten one a few days earlier, and he was still alive, so I tried a few. They tasted sort of like a plum, but left a cottony feeling in the mouth, which isn't all that pleasant. Perhaps these would be better in jams.

8 comments:

G. Robison said...

My Grandma Robison used to get Pottawatomie plums from the trees up on the Rowland Ranch (ask your in-laws where that is/was if you don't know, it's on the left as you go up the road to the caves). There are plenty of them in the Baker area. I bet that's one. I don't remember exactly what they looked like, but they are not a dark purple or green plum, so I bet that is one.

G. Robison said...

She made the BEST Pottawatomie plum jam!

G. Robison said...

The splitting is probably from an irregular water supply. And that tree is in need of a serious pruning - then you'll get better quality fruit. They probably also benefit from thinning when they are about 1" just like apples do.

Unknown said...

Potawatomi plums grew along the irrigation ditches on my parents half acre. Mom would harvest the plums and make Potawatomi Jelly. Clear and Beautiful! She's been gone now for 20 years and so are the trees along with the irriation ditches. My nieces, nephews and children all ask every year for the jelly. It's hard to fine the trees but one poor little tree survived in my Mom and Dad's yard so I'm doing my best to save it until i can get a good new tree growing. Makes and the best Jelly ever. A Family favorite.

Karen Johnson
American Fork, UT

Pamelia said...

Here’s a pretty thorough article about potawatomi plums in Utah:

http://healthybiosphere.blogspot.com/2013/10/utah-potawatomi-heirloom-plum-history.html?m=1

Unknown said...

We had a couple of Potawatomi trees in Leamington. Great for jelly but not so much for eating.

bonsaiweaver2@gmail.com said...

I have several potawatomi trees. Wa. state. Suckers off my parents from N. Central Idaho. Tree was 100 years old?
Fruit is good, sweet with sour around pit.Fruits like crazy.... Have several potted Bonsai Potawatomi, too.

Lee and Sharon said...

My Grandma Hales lived in Riverside and Garland area and she made jam
from the Potawatamie Plums growing there

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

blogger templates